Advanced treatment for varicose veins available in Encinitas, CA
Concerns over varicose veins are nothing new. Treatment was mentioned in a 1550 BC papyrus and in ancient Greek writings. Compression therapy was recommended by Hippocrates, and Leonardo da Vinci diagramed varicose vein anatomy. Modern medicine offers more treatment options than ever for varicose veins, including minimally invasive endovenous laser ablation, available at Skin & Vein Institute in Encinitas, CA.
Blood circulates from the heart to arteries which deliver oxygen to the tissues and then the deoxygenated blood is carried back to the heart by the veins. One-way valves in the veins help to keep blood moving back to the heart, against gravity. When these valves leak, blood pools in the veins, causing them to become engorged. This is especially noticeable in the legs as gravity causes the blood to pool in the feet.
Endovenous ablation is an ultrasound guided method of precisely delivering laser energy to the inside of the vein resulting in closure of the vein. Blood flow is then harmlessly rerouted to healthy veins.
Advantages of EVLT
- Improves appearance.
- Alleviates symptoms such as aching, swelling, skin discoloration, inflammation (phlebitis), and irritation (ulcers).
- Minimally invasive; leaves virtually no scarring.
- Safe and FDA-approved, with low risk of complications.
- Well tolerated. You feel a pinch while the anesthetic is administered, but no significant discomfort.
- No general anesthesia required, only local anesthesia is used, decreasing the risk and strain on the body.
- Brief (usually 30 minute) procedure.
- No downtime. You are expected to walk an hour immediately after the procedure.
- Effective! After closure of the vein with the laser, the body resorbs the vein so it is no longer around to cause you problems!
What to expect
Dr. Lloyd may recommend endovenous laser ablation for the great saphenous vein or other larger varicose veins that are not tortuous (many twists and bends). Her patients love the recovery time – because there is none. Not only can you resume normal activities right away, you should! To speed healing, it is best to avoid prolonged periods of sitting or lying in bed. Do plan to wear gradient compression stockings for two weeks post procedure.
Regain great looking legs. Call (760) 642-6674 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lloyd.
Back to Varicose Veins Home Page